On Tuesday, March 1, 2022, Congressman Jim Himes (CT-04), Chairman of the U.S. House Select Committee on Economic Disparity and Fairness in Growth, held a hybrid hearing examining the role stable and affordable housing plays in creating paths to economic security and enabling every American to pursue their American Dream. During this hearing, “Promoting Economic Prosperity and Fair Growth Through Access to Affordable and Stable Housing
,” Select Committee Members had the opportunity to discuss how access to safe and stable housing is a prerequisite to living a healthy life, maintaining consistent employment, and engaging productively in society and the economy, as well as how past state and federal housing policies have exacerbated economic disparity across the country.
You can watch the hearing recording on the Economic Disparity & Fairness in Growth Committee’s YouTube page here
The committee also posted the hearing’s written testimonies.
- Secretary Shaun Donovan, Former U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (Written Testimony)
- Ms. Nikitra Bailey, Senior Vice President of Public Policy, National Fair Housing Alliance (Written Testimony)
- Ms. Jacqueline Waggoner, President of Solutions Division, Enterprise Community Partners (Written Testimony)
- Mr. Kevin J. Nowak, Executive Director, CHN Housing Partners (Written Testimony)
- Dr. Salim Furth, Senior Research Fellow, Mercatus Center at George Mason University (Written Testimony)