The federal government has $25 billion available in emergency rental assistance.
New guidance was issued regarding the distribution of these funds:
- Renters may self-attest to meeting most eligibility criteria, including income, housing stability, and the amount of back rent owed, provided that certain safeguards are met.
- The timeframe is shortened from 21 days to as little as 10 days before assistance can be provided directly to tenants in cases when landlords do not participate in the program.
- Assistance can cover home internet costs needed for distance learning, telework, and telehealth.
- Programs can provide up to 10% of funds for stability services.
- Some of the funds may be used to provide legal assistance to renters facing eviction under certain conditions.