This week, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Office of Policy Development and Research published demographic data on tenants living in Housing Credit properties in 2021. This data, collected annually from state Housing Credit allocating agencies as required by the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, includes state-by-state details on tenant race, ethnicity, family composition, age, income, use of rental assistance, disability status, and monthly rent burden.
TEXAS HTC TENANTS – 2021 DEMOGRAPHIC DATA
Properties Reported: 74.7%
Racial Breakdown of Tenants Living in HTC properties in 2021
- 4% White
- 2% Black/African American
- 5% American Indian/Alaska Native
- 7% Multiracial
- 1% Asian
- 1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
- 0% Hispanic
- 20% of tenants opted not to report on racial characteristics
- 4% of households at least one member is under the age of 18 (US – 42.4%)
- 7% of households at least one member is over the age of 65 (US – 36%)
Median Annual Income
The median annual income of households living in Texas Housing Credit properties in 2021 was $21,300 (US – $18,600)
- 10% of households had an annual income of less than $5,000
- 1% of households had an annual income of $5,001-$10,000
- 8% of households had an annual income of $10,001-$15,000
- 5% of households had an annual income of $15,001 to $20,000
- 7% of households had an annual income of more than $20,000
Disability Status of Tenants
Approximately 11.7 percent of Housing Credit tenants reported having a disability.
- 6 percent were cost burdened (paid more than 30% but less than 50% of their income for rent)
- 3 percent were severely cost burdened (paid more than 50% of their income for rent)
- The Housing Credit and rental assistance programs complement each other, with 37.9 percent of households reporting receiving some degree of rental assistance in 2021.
- Only 35 percent of households receiving rental assistance reported the source of that assistance.
- 5 percent received HUD Project-Based Rental Assistance (PBRA)
- 5 percent received HUD Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation
- 9 percent received Public Housing Operating Subsidy
- 5 percent received HUD Housing Choice Voucher (HCV), Tenant-Based
- 3 percent received HUD Project-Based Vouchers.
- 7 percent received other Federal Rental Assistance
- 7 percent Not reported